Thursday, June 25, 2015

I love the mail!

Hello blogging friends!

I hope all are doing well and having a lovely Summer. I've been gone on a trip and have much to tell, but will do it on my next post!

However, I did want to show you the wonderful mail that I received!  I went to my mailbox and found a package with beautiful butterfly tape and gorgeous postage stamps on it!  It came all the way from Greece!!!  How exciting is that???

Ariadne sent me a package, containing the book My Dog Skip by Willie Morris.  In reading her blog, I know that she is an avid reader.  She had read this book, and said that it really wasn't her favorite.  I commented to her that it is by a beloved Mississippi author, and that the movie was filmed very near where I live!   Willie Morris is one of many famous Mississippians and was always active in the public and such a Southern Gentleman!  He passed away a few years ago.

Anyway, she offered to send it to me--I haven't read it but I did see the movie!  She was so sweet to do this, and to include some lovely cards and bookmarks from her area.  I just love everything and it made my day to receive it!  Thank you again, Ariadne!


Has anyone read My Dog Skip?  Or read books by our famous Mississippi authors?  Willie Morris, William Faulkner, Eudora Welty, Margaret Walker Alexander, John Grisham, Tennessee Williams, Shelby Foote, Walker Percy, Stark Young....the list goes on and on!   I know that your states probably have wonderful writers, too, but I have to admit that I am not well read--it is such a shame, and something I'm always wanting to correct!!  My mother was very well read, and collected books of literary value--not novels, but the classics.  She had a wonderful library and loved all of her books.  It was hard to deal with them when she died!!  I had a dear friend that wanted some, I kept a few, and I donated many to the library and to nursing homes.  She had inventoried her books, and had 571! Oh my!!!  But they were her treasures!

I have done some stitching!!  I will show that on my next post!  I also have a growing stack of items (ornaments!!!) to finish, and I am really itching to get to those and see how they all turn out!  Stitching is fun--yes!!  But creating the finished product is fun, too!!

Thank you for stopping by and please visit again soon!

Frances


9 comments:

Angela Tucker said...

Isn't it wonderful to get mail from the other side of the world? I had a friend in France who sent me a selfie early one morning...I was the only one at work that had talked to someone in France that day! LOL And yes, I bragged about it! And I can't wait to hear about your trip. :-)

Vickie said...

Always such fun to open packages from our over seas friends.
Your mother had quite the library!

KimM said...

Great package of goodies. I love to read, too. Mostly about the Tudors. Can hardly wait to see your stitching.
xxx

Justine said...

What a lovely package from Ariadne! I haven't read any of those authors, I'm ashamed to say.

Carol said...

Such a nice package--getting mail from blogging friends makes for a special day!

I LOVED the movie My Dog Skip--never read the book... You sure grow some great authors down in Mississippi, Frances :) And how nice of you to pass on your mom's books to libraries and nursing homes--I know they appreciated them.

Beth said...

Lots of famous authors from your state! I've read some Eudora Welty and Shelby Foote. What a wonderful gift from Greece - so thoughtful!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I've read a few of those authors Frances, but you'll be happy to know my husband has every John Grisham written, included one signed by the author. He eagerly awaits every new one! blessings, marlene

Ariadne said...

I am glad it arrived safely and I am happy to have shared it with you! I love reading books. I have read Faulkner and Grisham and Williams of course! I loved the Sound and the fury when we analysed it at the University and I had an amazing teacher there Mrs Georgoudaki.
AriadnefromGreece!

PNLima said...

I've just discovered your blog and it is always a pleasure to find a fellow cross stitcher and a fellow reader. I have to say that from the list I only read some John Grisham books and although familiar with Faulkner the others I've never heard of. I do tend to choose always the same authors and there are some americans in the list (Mickey Spillane, Rex Stout, Heinlein, David Brin and yes the pattern is crime nas science fiction). Have you ever read any portuguese authors? (by the way I'm from Portugal).
I will be coming back again to read more of the posts and find lovely the way you are a proud nation (the post above)
Regards from Portugal
Paula Lima